Harry Belafonte, Run-DMC, Yo-Yo Ma Recordings Among Newly Announced Inductees
Tony Bennettâs hit single âI Left My Heart in San Franciscoâ; the Latin beat of Gloria Estefan & the Miami Sound Machineâs 1987 âRhythm Is Gonna Get Youâ; the timeless soundtrack of âThe Sound of Musicâ; Run-DMCâs 1986 crossover hit album âRaising Hellâ; & radio coverage of the birth of the U.N. have been honored for their cultural, historic and aesthetic importance to the American soundscape.
Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden today named these recordings & 20 other titles to the National Recording Registry of the Library of Congress as aural treasures worthy of preservation.
âThis annual celebration of recorded sound reminds us of our varied & remarkable American experience,â Hayden said. âThe unique trinity of historic, cultural & aesthetic significance reflected in the National Recording Registry each year is an opportunity for reflection on landmark moments, diverse cultures & shared memoriesâall reflected in our recorded soundscape.â
Under the terms of the National Recording Preservation Act of 2000, the Librarian, with advice from the Libraryâs National Recording Preservation Board, is tasked with annually selecting 25 titles that are âculturally, historically, or aesthetically significantâ & are at least 10 years old.
The recordings selected for the class of 2017 bring the total number of titles on the registry to 500, a small part of the Libraryâs vast recorded-sound collection of nearly 3 million items. Scroll down for a list of the new inductees, & listen to an audio montage here.
More information about the National Recording Registry is available on the Libraryâs website.
2017 National Recording Registry (Chronological Order)
- âDream Melody Intermezzo: Naughty Mariettaâ (single), Victor Herbert and his Orchestra (1911)
- Standing Rock Preservation Recordings, George Herzog & Members of the Yanktoni Tribe (1928)
- âLamento Borincanoâ (single), Canario y Su Grupo (1930)
- âSitting on Top of the Worldâ (single), Mississippi Sheiks (1930)
- The Complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas (album), Artur Schnabel (1932â35)
- âIf I will Didnât Careâ (single), The Ink Spots (1939)
- Proceedings of the United Nations Conference on International Organization (4/25â6/26, 1945)
- âFolk Songs of the Hillsâ (album), Merle Travis (1946)
- âHow I am am Got Overâ (single), Clara Ward & the Ward Singers (1950)
- â(Weâre Gonna) Rock Around the Clockâ (single), Bill Haley & His Comets (1954)
- âCalypsoâ (album), Harry Belafonte (1956)
- âI Left My Heart in San Franciscoâ (single), Tony Bennett (1962)
- âKing Biscuit Timeâ (radio), Sonny Boy Williamson II & other people (1965)
- âMy Girlâ (single), The Temptations (1964)
- âThe Sound of Musicâ (soundtrack), Various (1965)
- âAliceâs Restaurant Massacreeâ (single), Arlo Guthrie (1967)
- âNew Sounds in Electronic Musicâ (album), Steve Reich, Richard Maxfield, Pauline Oliveros (1967)
- âAn Evening with Grouchoâ (album), Groucho Marx (1972)
- âRumours,â (album), Fleetwood Mac (1977)
- âThe Gamblerâ (single), Kenny Rogers (1978)
- âLe Freakâ (single), Chic (1978)
- âFootlooseâ (single), Kenny Loggins (1984), remake released in 2011
- âRaising Hellâ (album), Run-DMC (1986)
- âRhythm Is Gonna Get Youâ (single), Gloria Estefan & the Miami Sound Machine (1987)
- âYo-Yo Ma Premieres Concertos for Violoncello & Orchestraâ (album), Various (1996)